Applied Crypto Ventures (or "ACV") is a specialized technology venture capital investment firm focused on next generation fintech that leverages the convergence of Blockchain, AI, IOT, and Quantum Computing (see our investment thesis) We are led by a team with unmatched depth and a track record of success in Fintech, AI, and Blockchain across 4 funds, 3 continents, and 20+ years of early stage investing experience.
And yet, we operate as a young/nimble startup rather than a venture firm. We operate in a very entrepreneurial mode out of collegial co-working spaces in Boston (Massachusetts). Our approach to investing, our interactions with fellow VC investors, our support for entrepreneurs, and our investors are all unconventional.
Our results show that different works! After a successful maiden VC fund that invested in blockchain based digital assets and startup equity deals (see portfolio), we are soon launching Fund II, and would like to add to the team. As is to be expected, our hiring process is also unconventional.
This is a full-time salaried position based in Boston (ideally) but we are open to a remote presence in New York City as well. This person will be working on a small team consisting of two Managing Partners, two Principals and an Associate.
What will you be doing?
- We all do everything here, but who does what, when and to what extent tends to vary. Our job expectations are nearly identical for every level for this reason. But in a nutshell, you will source, screen, close, and manage compelling investment opportunities
- Identify and evaluate investment opportunities:
- Participate in the identification of deal sourcing targets (typically Seed/Series A)
- Develop investment theses via thematic analysis: Have views, have opinions, express them, contest ours
- Conduct outreach to other VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects. Get creative!
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Evaluate 50+ companies per week resulting in deep-dives on 3-5 per month and investment into ~15 per year to create a balanced portfolio across sector, stage and geography
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers.
- Work closely with other VC funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs.
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Execute transactions to close investments and exits
- Coordinate commercial, legal, and transactional diligence
- Perform analyses as necessary (financial, strategic, market, team, etc.)
- Prep and distribute due diligence packages for the Investment / Exit Committee (IC/EC)
- Orchestrate and execute Investment Committee and Exit Committee meetings
- Track and manage portfolio companies
- Support management teams in building their business
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed (and there is a lot of this: fund accounting, reporting, portfolio valuations, etc.)
- Whatever takes to make us successful
- Recruit, train, and manage interns/fellows to help support the fund
- Assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
What we need at a minimum (and we recognize this is a tough ask):
- A graduate of a technical program at a reputable institution OR can demonstrate technical depth that measures up the ethos of our deep-tech investment strategy
- A top school MBA
- Not just curiosity but passion for cutting edge technologies like Blockchain, AI, and Quantum Computing
- Can read software code but are not daunted by financial statements
- Have spent 4-5 years in an impactful role as an independent contributor in an entrepreneurial organization, possibly in venture capital, private equity, finance, or a tech startup
- Bring high EQ to an intellectually demanding job: we believe we are in a "relationships business" and not in the business of "doing deals".
- Communication skills:
- Direct style to have and voice opinions and raise questions timely
- Professionalism in written and verbal communication
- Ability and presence to engage a mature business audience
What would make you stand out:
- VC experience
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity and team
- A network of relationships in entrepreneurial and venture capital communities
- Strong analytical and financial analysis skills
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn
- Self directed willingness to take on new responsibilities
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- A highly organized and detail-oriented work ethic, balanced by the ability to get and communicate the big picture
The Hiring Process
- Apply - no cover letters, just a resume or LinkedIn profile will suffice so we know you are interested
- Ideally, follow up via someone WE KNOW to refer you - this weights heavily in our process. Have them email us with a line about why you would be a great addition to our team
- We will get in touch with you regarding next steps.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying